The Role of Counselor
Counselors are the lifeline of our ministry! Of the 550 student volunteers who work with Impact Retreat, 390 of them are counselors. Counselors are the primary source of contact to the freshmen class. Our desire is for Impact to be filled with counselors who love Jesus and love freshmen, desiring to have them experience godly community in college while connecting to the local church in the Bryan / College Station area.
Attending an informational is highly recommended if you are interested in the role of counselor. It is a great way to learn more about the heart of Impact, the position of counselor and the requirements to apply and serve in the role. Informationals last about 30 - 45 minutes and there are three opportunities:
Thursday, January 18th
Monday, January 22nd
Tuesday, January 23rd
All informationals are at 6:00PM at Grace Bible Church (Anderson Campus)
Everyone who submits an application for counselor will receive an interview. Here are a few details to help you plan ahead for your interview:
We will email all applicants approximately two days after the close of applications to give instructions on how to sign up for an interview.
Interviews for Impact Counselor take place at our office located at 700 University Dr. E #107 College Station, TX 77845. In years past people have ended up on the wrong side of University Dr, so we recommend mapping one of these points of reference as they are all neighbors to our office:
New Life Church, Golden Corral or Genghis Grill.
As far as SPECIFIC location, we are to the immediate left of BCR Realty. There is a brick column conveniently positioned right in front of our door, but you should be able to spot us easily next to BCR Realty.
ARRIVAL AND ATTIRE
Please arrive 5 minutes early to your interview as we will be doing a large amount each day and will work hard to stay on schedule. You being there a little early helps us with this. Also, know that these are casual. No need to dress up! You will be interviewed by two of our staff members and interviews tend to last about 15–20 minutes.
Requirements to Apply
- Be enrolled and taking classes at either Texas A&M or Blinn this Spring semester AND the following Fall semester.
- Maintain a 2.0 GPA cumulatively and for the most recent grading session before Impact Retreat.
- Be investing in a local church and be a part of a bible study based small group.
- Agree to Impact's statement of beliefs and adhere to the staff behavioral contract.
- Pay $190 in staff dues (scholarships are available).
- Work in a partnership with a fellow counselor to lead a group of 6-10 incoming freshmen
- Build unity among your "camp" of fellow counselors, co-chairs and prayer teamers
- Create an environment of inclusion and connectivity for the freshmen
- Facilitate small group discussion and interaction at retreat for your small group of freshmen
- Give guidance and support as freshmen transition into college
- Follow up with your freshmen during their first semester
- Model church connectivity and service as it flows from your example of living for the Lord in college
- Mandatory weekly "camp meetings" lasting two hours in length, beginning the week of February 25th and ending the week of April 22nd.
- Mandatory first staff retreat: March 2nd & 3rd
- Mandatory second staff retreat: April 20th & 21st
- Your assigned session, including the two days before your session. Dates for these are APPROXIMATELY:
- ALPHA: August 6 - 9 (workdays August 4 & 5)
- DELTA: August 9 - 12 (workdays August 7 & 8)
- OMEGA: August 12 - 15 (workdays August 10 & 11)
- Follow Up with your freshmen during their first semester of college